Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goodbye from Nicaragua

Hello all...

ve been forced back into the Internet cafe by an afternoon rainstorm. We just got back from meeting with Chuck. It was one of the most informative conversations that I´ve had down here... regarding the development that we are building in.

Right now there are 6 houses that are completed in our immediate area. We are going the be the 7th. Most of the houses have been there for a couple of years, but only half of them have year round residents. A few of them are owned by Nicaraguans, that use them as vacation homes. The others are like Chuck & Felix...where it´s their permanent residence.

Currently...there are 5 or 6 other homes that are being built within a half mile of our house.

The conversation with Chuck revolved mostly about water. It took a while to get a reliable well in our neighborhood, but it seems like we have one now. Our house is also going to have a rain collection system, with a cistern (water holding tank) built into the house. It will be below one of the decks, and hidden from view. This just gives us another place to store water for our pool, showers...etc.

Building a house in Nicaragua, is not even close to building one in the states. However, I feel really good that we have a contractor that has been down this road a few times...and has encountered the obstacles that go with building down here. He has build close to 20 homes in the area, and I know he´s learned a few lessons from each one.

I think it´s cool as hell that we are building down here, and it is going to be a great experience to go threw. Will is planning on taking pictures as we go along, to see the progress...but I feel it will be good to come down here every couple of months during the construction. It´s going to be important to see with our own eyes how things are going. I will be more than happy to volunteer for a few of these trips...

All in all... this has been a great trip down here. Adam and I spent a considerable amount of time working with Will, and his surveyors, engineers, foreman, and many other people that are going to be involved in the building of our surf casa. We messed with the floor plan a little bit to make sure it was optimal for the lot. We made some changes to the garage, and the captain´s perch. We staked out where the house is going to be placed on the lot, and got to watch the groundbreaking...which was awesome.

While I´ve been down here we have also purchased most of the materials for the initial phase. This includes the retaining wall blocks, rebar, concrete, and wood for the concrete columns. I´ve also had a great opportunity to meet a lot of people in SJDS, and Maderas. I´ve learned alot about the Nicaraguan culture, and seen a few of the towns, and a good amount of the country. Everyone needs to experience this place in the wet season, because it is so beautiful and green.

I hope that everyone has enjoyed this blog, as I have really enjoyed writing it. There is so much that I saw and did that I didn´t have time to put into the blog...but those stories will come when I get home. My plan is to put more pictures, and especially videos onto this blog when I get home. Especially videos of our lot.

I have my last evening planned out, as I am going to go back to Iguana´s for a sunset rum & ginger...have a burger at El Pozo, and then go to open mic at Coquito´s. Just as I´m really settling in......it´s time to go home.

That´s OK though...I´m ready to get back to the states and see everyone again.

Hope all is well up north, and adios from San Jan del Sur, Nicaragua.

Keeley

No comments:

Post a Comment