Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hello from the Mango Rosa

Hello from Nicaragua...Day 10. I’m currently sitting at the Mango Rosa resort, which is a 20 minute walk from our house. Or a two minute ride when you get picked up by our neighbor Chuck...which is what happened today.


I apologize that I haven’t updated this blog for a few days. I would say that I’ve been to busy to write...and that’s part of it... but I’ve also been really busy surfing, reading, sitting in a hammock, drinking Tona’s, and visiting with friends that I’ve made while down here. The only time I have internet access at my hostel is after 6pm, and I’ve been too busy visiting with others to write. So today I came down here to get some lunch, and spend some time on my computer.


For the last week I have been staying at the Parque Maderas Hostel, which is very close to our house, and Maderas beach. It has been a fantastic stay. My routine has been pretty consistent everyday. I wake up and go surfing early...before the sun hits the waves. We call it “Dawn Patrol”. There is usually no one there besides the kids at the hostel. After surfing I go back to the hostel, and eat some breakfast. After breakfast is where I get creative. I either do some reading, go to town, check out the house, or take a siesta. It’s a really hot sun in the middle of the day, so the beach is it a bit much for my Irish heritage.


I’ve been to town twice...only to go to the ATM, and get a bottle of rum. Those were my 2 separate trips.


Two or three hours before sunset.. I head back to the beach. . While there...I spend my time either in the water surfing, or on the beach watching surfers, and drinking Tona’s. After the sunset, I cruise back up the the hostel and hang out with the other traveler’s. It’s a fantastic group of people. Two kids from France, a couple from Santa Rosa, and five girls from Boston...yea...five girls from Boston...cool girls too. Life down here is truly epic.


We all sit around and drink cocktails till dinner, which is at 7:30 every night. Then for the rest of the night, we continue to socialize, play card games (I taught everyone 31), play some music, and just relax. It’s been amazing.


Today I knew it’s been a while since I’ve updated this blog, so I came down here to the Mango Rosa (they have internet) to get some lunch, and update everyone.


As far as the house is going....it’s going really well. I went there again this morning and they just stared on the PEX. PEX is the system we are going to use to plumb the house. They are also finishing up the garage, and the roof. Hopefully that will be done by the time I leave. There are probably 10-12 workers that are working on the house at any given time. It’s fun to go there everyday and see the progress that happens.


I am trying to upload some pics and videos, but please be patient. The internet is either slow, or really slow, and today it’s really slow.


ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS THAT I TAKE WILL BE HERE:

http://picasaweb.google.com/keeley.daniel



I also measured the size of our captain’s perch....22 ft by 16 ft....huge!! It’s going to be awesome.


Last week, Will & I went to visit the pool guy, and hopefully that will be getting started in the next couple of weeks. Will is pretty confident that the house will be done by the end of June, hopefully sooner.


As far as the area that we are building our house is concerned...it’s all good news. I have spent a good amount of time talking to land owners that our in our neighborhood, and I have gotten the same impression from all of them...things are moving faster than they ever have.


The city of San Juan del Sur is currently building a water pipeline that will bring water from Lake Nicaragua...which is about 20 miles away. This will provide the area with water, and our neighbors seem to think that someday it will make it out to our house. This would be awesome because we are currently getting our water from a well, which is not as reliable as piped-in water.


They are also building a new bridge on the road that leads to our house. This bridge is going over a river that is only there in the rainy season. But in the rainy season there are days where the river is impassible, which would mean that we would be stuck out at our property, and unable to get to town. That will no longer be a concern in 3 months.


There is also a lot of talk that the road that goes to Maderas Beach is going to be paved as well. Both our neighbor Chuck, and Tyler (owner of Parque Maderas) feel pretty confident that it is going to happen sooner than later. In fact, Tyler said that he has never seen things move as fast as they are right now.


Nicaragua is changing fast, and I honestly feel like we are getting in on the ground level. I have a few conversations with people...and they all said....where we are building our house is the best place to build in the area. Walking distance to the beach, walking distance to Parque Maderas and Mango Rosa. It's just a great area to be in.


I wish I could think of more to would write...but I can't. I will continue to post every few days if possible, and if anyone has any questions please write me at: keeley365@yahoo.com, and I will respond.


...looks like the internet just went down here, so even though I wrote this..this afternoon, it probably won’t post until tonight. Oh well....


Adios !!





No comments:

Post a Comment